Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Human rights for everyone

So very excited to see what happens in d.c. with the supreme court hearing on gay marriage! Its ridiculous to me that people genuinely believe that any two people should not have the right to marry because of their own view of what marriage is. I think government should have no say in marriage. Like at all. As a married woman it still pisses me off that if my husband and I weren't married we would not have the same rights as other married couples in regards to taxes, in case of emergency or death, and in matters related to our children. Let's say my husband was only my boyfriend and he was in an accident and coma. And my mother in law (who is awesome and would never do that to me) decided I couldn't see him then guess what? I'm shit out of luck because I'm not next of kin. Its not just marriage to anyone. Its about all the rights that go along with a stupid piece of paper that makes all the difference.

I believe that religion needs to stay in our own being. There are many different belief systems in the world and people are delusional if they think their one religion is going to dictate the laws of a country that is so incredibly diverse. Don't like it, don't look....I use that motto for breastfeeding as I do for many other things that do not include the harming of others.

On another human rights issue...this week is gential integrity awareness week in d.c. as well. Some may not know that I do not support routine infant circumcision. Well now you do. I don't judge those who just thought it is what you're supposed to do or don't understand that for the most part it is purely a cosmetic surgery. However,  I do hope that people will research this before they choose to have their son's body permanently altered. I'm not against circumcision if that's what a consenting adult wants to do. I am against it when the person whose body is being forever altered for no reason cannot speak for themselves.  This is not a parenting choice.  This is not your penis. Your child is not property and their body is their own. Research the myths. Many many men in other countries are perfectly happy with their bodies the way they were meant to be. If you wouldn't do this to your daughters or believe and fight for your daughters' right to choose what happens to their bodies then I urge you to do the same for your sons. I'm sure some may be offended by my stance but its not judgement on my part. I just hope that others will really research and watch videos to truly understand. I know I didn't even think about it until someone asked me to educate myself and it changed my whole view.

I bring these two things up because while we have come a long way as a society we are still so far behind in so many others. At the present moment these two issues are being fought for in our nation's capitol and we need to really look at ourselves and see what side we stand on and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment